Saturday, July 24, 2010

Movies

Green Zone

Chief Miller (Matt Damon) is a solider in Iraq charged with investigating sites thought to hold WMD. Site after site the team comes up empty and Chief Miller starts to suspect that the intelligence is dodgy. Millar goes "off book" to prove his suspicions.

It was nice to watch a film, where the US army aren't prancing around with hero music in the background, and flags waving in our faces. Propaganda from the left rather than the right is light relief in this genre.

Overall impression: watchable

Rating: 3/5

Zombieland

OMG, I watched a zombie film!! Although to be fair, this was really a road trip movie with zombies.
They used the tough guy teamed with bumbling nerd formula, which I actually quite like. You get some great comedic lines from the nerd, in the way he responds to everything, from the actions of the tough guy to the generally average situations he finds himself in.

Woody Harrelson played the tough guy and Jesse Eisenberg played the nerd - great performances from both.

Overall impression: I liked it

Rating: 3/5


The Burbs

From the 80's, staring Tom Hanks, cult classic apparently. There are some films you can watch anytime and you can see why they are considered great. Other films, I think you have to watch at the time they are released, and then love forever. I think the Burbs falls into the second category - it didn't really age that well, but I'm sure if I had watched it back when it was released, I would have appreciated it more.

I'm not much of a fan of the doofus character - not that smart, has bad ideas, makes bad decisions, yells all the time, and has pretty average appearance. Examples would be Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin. The Burbs has a doofus character and that really ruined it for me - it makes everything just too ridiculous and unbelievable.

Interesting I say that about the Burbs, when in the same post I say I quite liked a zombe film!

Overal impression: I was a bit bored

Rating: 2/5

No comments: